Are townhomes, manufactured homes, accessory structures, and mobile homes eligible for SolarAPP+?
SolarAPP+ is designed to permit solar installations on detached one- and two-family dwellings, as well as townhomes not more than three stories above grade plane in height with a separate means of egress and a unique utility production meter. Accessory structures and/or auxillary dwelling units (ADUs) are also permitted in SolarAPP+, provided that they are not more than three stories above grade plane in height.
The following structures are not permitted in SolarAPP+:
- Live/work units in townhomes that comply with Section 508.5 of the International Building Code
- Owner-occupied lodging houses with five or fewer guestrooms
- Care facility with five or fewer persons receiving custodial and/or medical care within a dwelling unit
- Care facility with five or fewer persons receiving care within a single-family dwelling.
- Townhome with penetrations within 4 feet of the fire-rated property line on the roof
- Multi-family structures, R-2 occupancies, and mobile homes governed by the Health and Safety Code and/or Housing and Urban Development regulations.
Please see the SolarAPP+ Eligibility Checklist for additional details.